2019 Canada Winter Games Team Ontario Roster Announced
Province Celebrates Athletes Going to the 2019 Canada Winter Games
Team Ontario is proud to announce the full roster of 350 athletes, coaches, managers and support staff that will make up the Team Ontario contingent at the upcoming 2019 Canada Winter Games. The Games will take place from February 15 to March 3, 2019 in Red Deer, Alberta.
Over the past year, members of Team Ontario have been hard at work preparing for the Canada Games. Through extensive training and competition, they have put an incredible amount of time and effort in to represent Ontario and make the province proud on the national stage.
“I would like to congratulate all of Team Ontario’s athletes, and wish them the best of luck at this year’s Games. They are Ontario’s best and the entire province can’t wait to see you compete. Our government is working for the people and pleased to support our athletes in their pursuit of excellence through a number of programs, including Quest for Gold. Go, Team Ontario!” – Michael Tibollo – Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport
Team Ontario is led by Jennifer Bennett, who resumes the role of Chef de Mission for her second consecutive Canada Games. “I am honoured to once again lead a talented and committed Team Ontario at the Canada Games,” Bennett said. “Our goal is that Team Ontario members perform to the best of their ability while upholding Team Ontario values. By doing so, I am confident that our team will have many standout performances, personal bests and podium finishes.”
The 2019 Canada Winter Games will feature the following exciting sports over two weeks of intense competition, and Ontario will be represented in all of them:
- Alpine & Para-Alpine
- Artistic Gymnastics
- Artistic Swimming
- Cross Country Skiing & Para-Nordic
- Figure Skating
- Freestyle Skiing
- Long Track Speed Skating
- Short Track Speed Skating
- Table Tennis
- Wheelchair Basketball
- The Canada Games are an important component of the sport system and a key event in the development of Ontario’s young athletes. The Games provide athletes with an opportunity to compete in a multi-sport atmosphere and prepare them as the next generation of international competitors. The 2021 Canada Summer Games will be held in Niagara region.
- The Games are held every two years, with participation from every province and territory in Canada, and alternate between winter and summer. Approximately 3,600 athletes, coaches and managers will participate in the 2019 Games.
- Team Ontario is supported by the Ontario government through its Games Ontario program, which delivers or supports multi-sport events, including the Ontario Winter and Summer Games for youth, the Ontario 55+ Summer and Winter Games and the Ontario Parasport Games.