The Avalanche (32-27-4, 68 points) face the Red Wings (30-20-11, 71 points) in the 2016 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series at Coors Field in Denver (8:00 p.m., ET).
The game is the second and final between the teams this season.
Avalanche goaltender Semyon Varlamov made 43 saves in a 3-2 shootout win against the Red Wings on Feb. 12 at Joe Louis Arena, a game in which Colorado was outshot 45-21. Detroit, however, has earned at least one point in each of the last eight meetings between these teams dating to March 5, 2013 (DET: 5-0-3, COL: 3-4-1), including all five matchups since moving to the Eastern Conference for the start of the 2013-14 season.
The Red Wings arrive at Coors Field with a three-point lead on the Penguins for the first Wild Card position in the Eastern Conference. They ended a four-game losing streak with a 2-1 shootout win at home against the Blue Jackets on Tuesday and will look to snap a six-game road winless streak (0-4-2).
The Avalanche have won four of their past five games and hold the second Wild Card spot in the Western Conference. Forward Jarome Iginla enters the game on a five-game point streak (3-3—6) and with 607 career goals is one shy of Dino Ciccarelli for 17th place on the all-time list.
STADIUM SERIES QUICK HITS
- The 2016 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series marks the first regular-season outdoor NHL game appearance for the Avalanche. The Red Wings will be skating in their third such game, having previously contested the 2009 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic at Wrigley Field in Chicago (6-4 W vs. CHI) and the 2014 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor (3-2 shootout L vs. TOR).
- All five players on the Avalanche active roster with previous experience in NHL outdoor games skated for winning clubs. Jarome Iginla and Alex Tanguay helped Calgary defeat Montreal in the 2011 Molson Canadian NHL Heritage Classic; Semyon Varlamov backstopped Washington over Pittsburgh in the 2011 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic; John Mitchell’s New York Rangers defeated Philadelphia in the 2012 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic and Francois Beauchemin’s Anaheim Ducks were victorious over Los Angeles in the 2014 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series.
- Three current Red Wings players have appeared in the team’s first two regular-season outdoor NHL games: forwards Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg and defenseman Niklas Kronwall.
- With an appearance in today’s game forward Brad Richards will become the first player to play in five outdoor NHL regular-season games. Richards already has skated in three such games for the New York Rangers (2012, two in 2014) and one with the Chicago Blackhawks (2015). Richards notched the game-winning goal in the Rangers’ 3-2 comeback win over the Flyers in the 2012 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia.
- Forward Henrik Zetterberg shares the record for career assists in regular-season outdoor NHL games, with four in two appearances.
- The NHL’s 17 regular-season outdoor games have drawn total attendance of 970,960 – an average of 57,115 per game. Outdoor game attendance will surpass the 1-million mark at today’s game.