New Major League Baseball Video Games Coming To Fans This Spring
Game Launches Start Today with R.B.I. Baseball 18; Available on PlayStation 4, Xbox One Now Trio of MLB-developed video games will deliver fun MLB action for the entire 2018 season to fans of all ages on every screen
R.B.I. Baseball 18
As developed exclusively by MLB for the first time, R.B.I. Baseball 18 delivers the all-new Franchise mode, Home Run Derby mode, detailed player models, animations, high fidelity MLB ballparks, dynamic camera angles and a stunning UI presentation. MLB, which is demonstrating R.B.I. Baseball 18 this week at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, has added these exciting fan-friendly features while sustaining the game’s core identity principles – fast-paced and fun play with easy-to-use controls.
To commemorate this year’s game launch and Opening Day across MLB, fans will have the opportunity to enter a sweepstakes for the chance to win custom R.B.I. Baseball 18 Opening Day Xbox One S consoles and matching Xbox Wireless Controllers, specially branded for all 30 MLB Clubs. Fans may visit MLB.com/rbi18openingdaysweeps for complete details.
R.B.I. Baseball 18 Launch Dates
Tuesday, March 20
PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system; Xbox One family of devices including Xbox One X
Tuesday, March 27
iPhone and iPad
Nintendo Switch; Android smartphones and tablets (dates to be announced when available)
New features in 2018*:
- Franchise Mode: Make trades, sign free agents or call up rookies across multiple seasons. A new player progression system allows players to develop, improve, and ultimately retire.
- Home Run Derby Mode: Challenge a friend in local head-to-head play or a CPU in the ultimate slugfest.
- Authentic MLB Players: Completely redesigned player models (more than 300 digitally modeled likenesses), along with hundreds of new animations and unique player-specific animations.
- Ballparks: Enhanced lighting, textures, a revamped 3-D crowd system, new dynamic camera angles and specially crafted cinematic sequences across all 30 MLB ballparks.
- MLB Legends: Available in franchise mode, add any of the more than 100 retired MLB players to a roster.
- Soundtrack: New tracks will feature music from more than a dozen popular recording artists.
- Roster Updates: Keep rosters up to date throughout the 2018 season, including within Franchise mode.
R.B.I. Baseball 18 is officially licensed by MLB and MLBPA. The game will retail for $29.99 (U.S.) on next generation consoles and $6.99 (U.S.) on smartphones and tablets.
MLB Home Run Derby Mobile
The games and VR team at MLB will update the popular award-winning mobile game, MLB Home Run Derby, for Opening Day.
MLB Home Run Derby will continue to be available as a free download on the App Store and Google Play and this year includes more than 20 iconic MLB ballparks, highlighted by its HD re-creation of Nationals Park, host of the 2018 T-Mobile Home Run Derby and MLB All-Star Game presented by MasterCard. Fans may play in both single player and multiplayer modes for a chance to capture the Home Run Derby crown, reach the top of the worldwide leaderboards, compete against more than 11.5 million game players in daily tournaments and earn valuable upgrades. This year’s version also includes hi res renderings of more than 50 participants from the 2010-17 competitions.
Home Run Derby VR
MLB’s first console virtual reality video game, Home Run Derby VR, will be available commercially for the first time – coming to Sony PlayStation®VR and HTC Vive (available at launch via Steam) – and will feature three All-Star ballparks from 2017-19. Fans will be able to step into the batter’s boxes at Marlins Park (Miami), Nationals Park (Washington, DC) and Progressive Field (Cleveland) to score as many points as possible in the timed home run competition. Additional game details will be announced at a later date. Previously, the enterprise edition of the game had been available at numerous global event activations including MLB Battlegrounds (London), MLB All-Star FanFest (Miami), team off-season events and numerous MLB ballparks.
Home Run Derby VR Launch Dates
Sony PlayStation®VR; HTC Vive (dates to be announced when available)
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.