DUPUIS, JAGR AND ZUCCARELLO VOTED MASTERTON TROPHY FINALISTS
The NHL announced that forwards Pascal Dupuis of the Pittsburgh Penguins, Jaromir Jagr of the Florida Panthers and Mats Zuccarello of the New York Rangers are the three finalists for the 2015-16 Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy, which is awarded “to the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.”
BACKES (AGAIN) PLAYS OVERTIME HERO AS BLUES EVEN SERIES
The Stars erased a 3-1 deficit in the third period, but David Backes (1-1—2) scored at 10:58 of overtime to help the Blues even their Second Round series at 1-1.
Backes, who celebrated his 32nd birthday, recorded his second overtime goal of the 2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs (also Game 1 of FR vs. CHI). He became just the second player in Blues history to score multiple overtime goals in one postseason, joining Pierre Turgeon (2 in 1999).
PAVELSKI, SHARKS TAKE 2-0 SERIES LEAD OVER PREDATORS
The Predators tied the game midway through the third period, but Joe Pavelski (1-2—3) scored the tiebreaking goal with 2:40 remaining in regulation to power the Sharks to a 2-0 series lead.
Pavelski shares first place in the NHL with six goals during the 2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs. He also now has six career three-point games in the postseason (all w/ SJS), the most in franchise playoff history.
The Sharks improved to 6-0 in six all-time home playoff games against the Predators.
NHL MILESTONES & MUSINGS
- Blues defenseman Joel Edmundson and Stars forward Mattias Janmark each scored their first career playoff goal.
- Stars captain Jamie Benn (1-1—2) collected at least one point for the 13th time in 15 career playoff games (9-8—17). He leads the NHL with 5-7—12 this postseason (8 GP)
- Blues goaltender Brian Elliott (31 SV) picked up his 10th win in his last 12 road games dating to Feb. 2
- Sharks goaltender Martin Jones made a playoff career-high 37 saves to improve to 6-1 this postseason
- Stars forward Cody Eakin established a playoff career high with three assists/points
- The Department of Player Safety suspended Capitals defenseman Brooks Orpik for three games for interference against Penguins defenseman Olli Maatta
SUNDAY’S NHL RESULTS
Home Team in Caps
St. Louis 4, DALLAS 3 (OT) – series tied 1-1
SAN JOSE 3, Nashville 2 – SJS leads 2-0
SNEAK PEEK AT NHL MONDAYS ACTION
All Times Eastern
Washington @ Pittsburgh, series tied 1-1, 8:00 p.m.