TEAMS CONTINUE PUSH FOR THE PLAYOFFS
Several teams picked up victories to improve their playoff positioning.
Jonas Gustavsson made a career-high 42 saves and Brad Marchand scored the lone goal just 10 seconds into overtime to lift the Bruins (38-23-7, 83 points) over the Lightning (39-23-5, 83 points) and into a tie – in terms of points – atop the Atlantic Division. Gustavsson earned his seventh career shutout (and first w/ BOS). Marchand collected his 34th goal of the season, third in the NHL, and second in overtime (also Feb. 6 vs. BUF).
James Reimer stopped all 31 shots he faced to propel the Sharks (37-23-6, 80 points) within three points of the Pacific Division-leading Ducks (37-19-9, 83 points). Reimer, who was acquired prior to the 2016 NHL Trade Deadline, earned his 12th career shutout and first since Oct. 29, 2013, also at EDM (43 SV w/ TOR). At 25-9-3 (53 points), the Sharks continue to pace the NHL in road wins and road points this season.
Anders Lee scored the tiebreaking goal midway through the third period to give the Islanders (37-20-7, 81 points) a five-point edge over the Penguins (34-24-8, 76 points) for third place in the Metropolitan Division. New York improved to 7-1-0 in its last eight games overall, including four straight wins. The club also extended its home point streak to six contests dating to Feb. 2 (5-0-1).
NHL MILESTONES & MUSINGS
- Islanders goaltender Jaroslav Halak (31 SV) recorded his 200th NHL win.
- Islanders defenseman Nick Leddy (0-2—2) played in his 400th NHL game.
- Jets forward Scott Kosmachuk, a third-round selection (70th overall) in the 2012 NHL Draft, made his League debut.
- Red Wings defenseman Mike Green equaled a career high with three assists, his first such performance since March 2, 2014 vs. PHI (w/ WSH)
- Lightning goaltender Ben Bishop (32 SV) saw his personal winning streak snapped at six games, tied for a career high (also Nov. 1-14, 2013)
- Sharks forward Logan Couture (2-0—2) registered his second multi-goal game of the season (also Feb. 22 at STL: 2-1—3)
- Penguins defenseman Kris Letang established a career high with his 12th goal of the season
- Forward Phillip Danault scored his first goal with the Canadiens (6 GP)
- The Blackhawks signed forward Marcus Kruger to a three-year contract extension
SNEAK PEEK AT WEDNESDAY’S ACTION
All Times Eastern
NY Islanders @ Toronto, 7:00 p.m.
Chicago @ St. Louis, 8:00 p.m.
Nashville @ Calgary, 9:30 p.m.
Arizona @ Vancouver, 10:00 p.m.
Anaheim @ Colorado, 10:00 p.m.
Washington @ Los Angeles, 10:30 p.m.
Home Team in Caps
NY Rangers 4, BUFFALO 2
CAROLINA 4, Ottawa 3 (SO)
COLUMBUS 5, Detroit Red Wings 3
NY ISLANDERS 2, Pittsburgh 1
MONTREAL 4, Dallas 3 (OT)
Boston 1, TAMPA BAY 0 (OT)
Nashville 4, WINNIPEG 2
San Jose 3, EDMONTON 0