Tanner Foust Regains Red Bull Global Rallycross Points Lead With Seattle Victory
Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross driver Tanner Foust regained the form that took him to early season dominance and won Saturday’s Red Bull Global Rallycross Seattle final at Evergreen Speedway. It was Foust’s fourth victory of the 2016 season, and allowed him to regain the championship lead from teammate Scott Speed heading into the season-ending Los Angeles doubleheader.
“It’s a pleasure to be back here,” said Foust, who has competed at Evergreen numerous times in drifting events. “The fans here are absolutely awesome—I was lucky enough to come back here about a month ago and across the country the fans here are the best. The track was gnarly, and all the teams had a big battle. But Volkswagen Andretti pulled it off and it was spectacular.”
Foust qualified third on Friday, but managed to get past Brian Deegan to win his heat and never looked back all weekend long. A wet and wild Saturday saw the most experienced teams and drivers rise to the top, as Honda Red Bull Olsbergs MSE drivers Sebastian Eriksson and Joni Wiman climbed to second and third early in the main event and held on for 10 laps each. Their double podium represented the first such occurrence for Honda since joining Red Bull GRC.
In GRC Lites, Conner Martell gave Washington-based DirtFish Motorsports a hometown victory after qualifying on the pole on Friday. After a mid-race incident ended the podium hopes of Christian Brooks, Travis PeCoy, and Cabot Bigham, Olsbergs MSE X Forces teammates Oliver Eriksson and Miki Weckstrom settled into second and third. Eriksson now holds the Lites championship lead with two rounds remaining.
Unofficial results from Red Bull Global Rallycross Seattle are as follows:
- Tanner Foust, #34 Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross Beetle
- Sebastian Eriksson, #93 Honda Red Bull Olsbergs MSE Civic Coupe
- Joni Wiman, #31 Honda Red Bull Olsbergs MSE Civic Coupe
- Scott Speed, #41 Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross Beetle
- Steve Arpin, #00 Chip Ganassi Racing Ford Fiesta ST
- Chris Atkinson, #55 Subaru Rally Team USA WRX STI
- Brian Deegan, #38 Chip Ganassi Racing Ford Fiesta ST
- Nelson Piquet Jr., #07 SH Rallycross/DRR Ford Fiesta ST
- David Higgins, #75 Subaru Rally Team USA WRX STI
- Austin Dyne, #14 AD Racing Ford Fiesta ST
- Patrik Sandell, #18 Bryan Herta Rallysport Ford Fiesta ST
Red Bull Global Rallycross Seattle will be shown on Sunday, September 18 at 1:30PM ET on NBC and at 2PM ET on Red Bull TV. The 2016 season concludes on October 8-9 with Red Bull GRC Los Angeles presented by Honda.
Feature photo: Tanner Foust competes at Red Bull Global Rallycross in Monroe, Washington, USA on 17 September, 2016. Larry Chen / Red Bull Content Pool