Denny Hamlin, driver of the #11 FedEx Express Toyota, takes the checkered flag ahead of Martin Truex Jr., driver of the #78 Bass Pro Shops/Tracker Boats Toyota, to win the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series DAYTONA 500 at Daytona International Speedway on February 21, 2016 in Daytona Beach, Florida.
Daytona 500 – Race Fast Facts
Sun, February 21, 2016
Winner: Denny Hamlin Age: 35
Team : No. 11 – FedEx Express Toyota
Owner: J.D. Gibbs
Crew Chief: Michael Wheeler
- Denny Hamlin won the 58th Annual Daytona 500, his 27th victory in 363 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races.
- This is his first victory and first top 10 finish in 2016
- It is his first top-10 finish in 2016.
- Kyle Busch (third) posted his seventh top10 finish in 22 races at Daytona International Speedway.
- Ryan Blaney (19th) was the highest finishing rookie.
- Denny Hamlin leads the point standings by 5 points over Martin Truex Jr.
- This is the first Daytona 500 win for Toyota.
- This Margin of Victory is the closest in Daytona 500 history at 0.010 second.
- Denny Hamlin becomes the fifth driver in series history to win the Sprint Unlimited and the Daytona 500 in the same season joining Bobby Allison (1982), Bill Elliott (1987), Dale Jarrett (1996, 2000) and Jeff Gordon (1997).
Feature photo by Chris Trotman/NASCAR via Getty Images