LaSalle Opening Some Outdoor Amenities
In response to the Province of Ontario’s recent announcements with respect to COVID-19 and reopening certain outdoor amenities, the following will open in the Town of LaSalle as of Tuesday, May 26 for individuals or groups of up to five people from the same household include:
- Courts will be open – this includes tennis, pickleball, basketball and sand volleyball
- The skateboard park at the Vollmer Complex will be open
- Fishing from municipal property is permitted
- Pavilions and shelters will be opened with minimal picnic tables
In addition, greenspace in parks will be open. Examples of permitted activities in green space, for individuals or groups of up to five people from the same household include:
- Playing catch, kicking a ball, flying a kite etc.
- Sitting on a blanket, grass or lawn chair
- Exercising and stretching, but not in a class
- Letting young children run and burn off some energy
When using the courts, play should be individual/single play only. Proper physical distancing should be in place at all times and equipment should not be shared. All organized sporting activities and training, even if they are not being played on a court or sports field, are not permitted under Ontario’s Emergency Orders. Outdoor recreation facilities are not sanitized. Use at your own risk.
As per the Province of Ontario and the Windsor Essex County Health Unit, residents must continue to restrict gatherings to groups of five or less and keep a distance of two metres (6 feet) apart from people they do not live with. Opening outdoor amenities means that there are more chances for residents to be around each other. It is important to continue to follow the public health advice: stay home when sick, wash hands frequently for at least 20 seconds, keep a two-metre distance away from others, limit gatherings to five or fewer people and wear a mask when it is difficult to keep a physical distance.
Summer program registration is postponed until further notice. A decision to offer any summer programs will be announced in the near future. All events, programs and rentals in June are cancelled.
Restrictions are still in place for the following until further notice:
- LaSalle Civic Centre is closed to the public
- Vollmer Culture and Recreation Centre is closed to the public
- Splash pad at the Vollmer Complex is closed
- Sports fields are closed
- Playgrounds and play equipment are closed
- Public washrooms are closed
The situation continues to change quickly, and the Town will continue to issue communication updates to the public.