Home » Blogs » John Humphrey » Windsor Spitfires Losing Streak Hits Three Games

Windsor Spitfires Losing Streak Hits Three Games

The Windsor Spitfires first losing streak of the 2022-2023 Ontario Hockey League season has reached three games following a blowout loss to the Saginaw Spirit.

The defeat on the road by the Spirit followed back-to-back home losses to the Owen Sound Attack and Flint Firebirds earlier last week.

Zayne Parekh scored twice and added two assists and Tristan Lennox made 27 saves as the Spirit defeated the Spitfires 7-2 at the Dow Event Centre on Saturday night. Calem Mangone, Pavel Mintyukov Dean Loukus, Matyas Sapovaliv and Mitchell Smith all added single markers for the Spirit, who moved seven points ahead of the Windsor in first place in the Ontario Hockey League’s West Division standings.

Michael Misa, who was granted exceptional player status by the Ontario Hockey Association so the Spirit could select him with the first pick of the 2022 Ontario Hockey League Priority Selection, chipped in three assists for the home team.

Liam Greentree and Alex Cristopoulos, with his team-leading 16th of the season, replied for the Spitfires, who have played two fewer games than the Spirit. Rookie netminder Joey Costanzo made 30 saves while appearing in his third straight game for Windsor.

Earlier in the week the Owen Sound Attack doubled-up the Spitfires 6-3 in a rare Wednesday night regular season home game at the WFCU Centre as the Spitfires played their first of three games in four days.

Colby Barlow and Servac Petrovsky both netted hat-tricks and Tecumseh native Nick Chenard made 30 saves as the Attack defeated the Spitfires for the second time in two games so far this season.

Ethan Miedema, with two and Anthony Cristofaro replied for the Spitfires. Windsor starting netminder Matt Onuska made 17 saves before being pulled after the second period. Costanzo stopped all five shots that he face in the third period.

The Attack defeated the Spitfires 5-4 in overtime at the Harry Lumley Bayshore Arena on October 15 in the previous game between the two clubs.

After having a rare Thursday night (American Thanksgiving) off, the Spitfires returned to action on Friday and lost 4-3 to the Flint Firebirds as Simon Slavicek scored the shootout winner.

Coulson Pitre, Braeden Kressler and Dmitry Kuzmin all scored for the Firebirds in regulation time while Ryan Abraham, Jacob Maillet and Matthew Maggio replied for the Spitfires. Maggio’s goal came with Costanzo on the bench in favour of an extra attacker and with just 22 seconds remaining in the third period. Following a scoreless five-minute overtime period, Slavicek was the only shooter in the five-round shootout to score.

The Spitfires return to action this Thursday, December 1, when the Oshawa Generals pay their only visit to the WFCU Centre this season. After a road game against the Kitchener Rangers on Friday night, the Spitfires will play their third game in three nights when the host another Eastern Conference team, the Barrie Colts, on Saturday, December 3.

Facebook Comments