Plans to Upgrade West-End Recreation Infrastructure

Home » More » Running Fitness » Plans to Upgrade West-End Recreation Infrastructure

City and University Announce Plans to Upgrade West-End Recreation Infrastructure

Public consultation launched regarding $42-million investment at Adie Knox Herman Recreation Complex

The City of Windsor and The University of Windsor have reached an agreement regarding the shared community use of the new Lancer Centre (LC) pool at the University of Windsor. The tentative agreement, which requires City of Windsor Council approval, would accomplish the following:

  • Accommodate 93% of existing bookings from Adie Knox, with the remaining 7% relocated to the Windsor International Aquatic and Training Centre Presented by WFCU Credit Union;
  • Complementary parking for City residents using the pool at the LC; and
  • Welcome residents without any increase in fees and allow for memberships to City pools to be used at the LC going forward.

The City of Windsor would provide an up-front capital contribution as well as annual operating subsidy to the university, which would cost less than operating a separate swimming pool at Adie Knox. With the construction of a new pool about a kilometre away, the City of Windsor is committed to renovating and expanding the municipal facility to invest in the needs of current and future west-end residents. New services and community spaces would be constructed, subject to public input, which could include the following:

  • Gymnasium
  • Splash pad
  • Tennis or pickleball courts
  • Basketball courts
  • Walking track

The City of Windsor is launching a public consultation survey to determine the mix of services that should be offered, expanding the footprint and renewing Adie Knox for years to come. The public consultation will be open until June 15 and available in the survey section of

“The stars have aligned, and we are keen to make a massive investment at Adie Knox. With the plans for the Grace Hospital site and recently approved University Avenue West CIP, we need to renew Adie Knox for the next generation of users.”

Windsor Mayor Drew Dilkens

The federal government has launched a new Green and Inclusive Community Building Fund, which is specifically focused on supporting under-serviced communities. The City of Windsor is preparing an application that would seek the maximum contribution of $13.5 million from this grant, to help funded the estimated $42 million to upgrade Adie Knox Herman Recreation Complex.

“The University of Windsor is pleased to partner with the City of Windsor to create a shared space for recreation users. The new Lancer Centre will be more than a campus addition – it will be a community amenity.” – University President Dr. Robert Gordon.

“Community input is going to be vital towards this proposed solution. I know that many residents have a deep affection for Adie Knox, and ensuring community voices are heard during this public consultation is a critical component of the plan.” – Ward 2 Councillor Fabio Costante.

Facebook Comments